Monday, November 30, 2009

Threadscapes

"Last Autumn"
©2009 by Robin Koehler
Once upon a military- life time, I was afforded the opportunity to own my very own home. We had been nomads for 15 years and wanted to see what all this 'ownership' was about. Starting in NJ with 11 homes to look at, found on the internet, we headed west to St. Louis to house hunt. By the time we arrived, there were 6 houses left...definately a seller's market. We headed out to see the remaining 6: NO, no, eh, no, NO, I love it!! My husband was not as impressed but time was running short and with not too many other prospects, we put in a bid.
In 2003 we moved to Illinois into our very first home and I had a room all to myself for the very first time...no more dining room table. Everytime I was in that room it was like Christmas to me. My imagination really started to soar and skills became sharpened while learning about fabric companies and new techniques. After dreams in other states of starting my own greeting card company or mural design company ("Off The Wall", of which I still have the box of business cards for), I started NESTLINGS by Robin. I grew in leaps and bounds and loved every minute of it even though I had no idea of what I was doing.
The ownership lasted 4 years until we moved again but the dream of NESTLINGS lives on. As with anything, it has grown and changed and now includes art as well as quilt patterns. My art includes inspiration from that beautiful home I was once so fortunate to drive up to everyday and call mine.
Above is a Threadscape of the gorgeous sugar maple that adorned our front yard. Below is a Threadscape of the Mother's Day gift of a rose trellis and rose bush I was given one year by my family. These two lovelies have since sold and moved on to grace another's home but the memories warm my heart constantly. I will always be thankful for the opportunity to have had my own place to decorate and do as I wish along with rising up to my dreams with the love and support of my wonderful family.

"Mother's Roses"

©2009 by Robin Koehler

4 comments:

Celine Perkins said...

Robin,
Wow. These are beautiful!
Celine

Jean Baardsen said...

Robin,
I love these two pieces - they're beautiful! You are so good at this type of artwork.
Jean

Barb Forrister said...

They are beautiful, so realistic and rich with texture.

Judy Alexander said...

Very nice. Love both of these.