Monday, October 2, 2017

Connecting Threads 'Autumums'

AUTUMUMS is now available in the
Fall Connecting Threads catalog!
This is the Gathering Wishes fabric line and all that
Autumn makes my heart sing:) 
It has been a year long adventure and
I am so happy to be able to share it with you now:)
You can always scroll to the bottom but how about building the anticipation with a quick tutorial on assembly.
Lately I have been cutting my HSTs to the next inch up vs. the 7/8".  This gives me a little wiggle room and an opportunity to trim if necessary.  Sometimes my personal seam allowance brings me right to the measurement I needed.
I have said it before and I will say it again, I am old fashioned and find that I get better results when I work one step at a time.  The blue ruler above is the Quick Quarter ruler (above pic) and I get very good results with it and Mary Ellen's Best Press. Pictured below are some sewn squares that have been sprayed with Best Press.
 Look how nice and crisp they are after and ready to be cut apart!

 Trimmed and ready to go!
 Time for applique....
Cutting Multiples
Sometimes the amount of applique pieces needed can seem overwhelming but if you go to my tutorial, you can cut down your tracing and cutting by a quarter if not more. 
Save this link so that when you buy the pattern,
you will have this to refer back to.


I used a small zig zag stitch to applique all
my petals down before assembly.
 

Let's talk quilting....I know it is hard to decide on a design that will accent your applique or fill a large space.  I outlined the flowers and did stitch in the ditch for all the seams (blocks and borders).
The border quilting was finding a leaf shape I liked and adding swirls around it. 
The leaves were alternated right and left and traced to the border.  I then lightly sketched in some vines and smaller swirls to fill the space around them.
I believe you can click on the photo to enlarge it and the side lighting should show the quilting a bit.

Enjoy having a little Autumum in your world as much as I enjoyed designing and making it!

2 comments:

odessa_cat said...

Informative tutorial. I am sure the makers are going to find it very helpful.

susan said...

Love this!