Monday, April 23, 2012

Art Quilt Portfolio: The Natural World

Imagine my joy opening my mail to this!
Martha, you have done it again:  The cover is beautifully simple with paper that is slick yet soft and a raised edge on the quilt so you can feel the binding...love that.  You would never imagine the amount of beauty contained within such a portable size.

In this format, Martha has given us the best of both worlds with in-depth artist interviews combined with pages of organized, drool-over beauty.

The FLOWERS section contains photography that makes you feel as if you could just pluck one from the page.

The THIRTEEN WAYS OF LOOKING AT A BLACKBIRD exhibit was not what I expected.  Not being a big bird fan myself (although I do love Big Bird:), I was pleasantly surprised by all the variations on a theme and how the artists brought themselves to it.  The lesson being  that even when you aren't excited about a subject matter, there is still appreciation for the process to be had if you open yourself up to it.

Ginny Eckley creates such color depth in her paintings as does Sally Dillon.  Their work again reinforced my discovery that I am repeatedly drawn to the silk paintings for their fluidness and depth.

As a beginner or self-taught artist, this book along with the MASTERS series are great resources for defining what techniques you are drawn to and deserve greater research.  When I read a process and find my eyes glazing over after step 3, then I know I am not interested in pursuing that technique.  Don't mistake disinterest in a technique for not being in awe of what the artist can accomplish though.

Technique, talent, and variety abound from Cassandra Williams to Betty Busby to Gabrielle Paquin.
Annemieke Mein's nature work is exquisite in spite of looking at bugs.
Katherine K. Allen's process really intrigues and excites me.  In my mind I would love this process but reality is that I am too weird about getting dirty to be out collecting nature:)
Dottie Moore-  First of all, I so love and admire the beauty of trees, and in Dottie's skillful hands their textural beauty is mesmerizing.
Nancy G Cook- I have followed Nancy's work for a few years now and am always in awe of the seemingly simple beauty she brings to cloth. 

Thank you again, Martha, for a must have for any library especially anyone enthralled with the wonder of nature.  Thank you artists for your continued push for excellence.

1 comment:

Jean Baardsen said...

That peacock on the cover is certainly beautiful!