Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What have you been doing the last 2 months?? Part 2

Thought I would share some of the beauty from the Hampton, Mid Atlantic show before finishing my trip story.  I take pics of all the write ups for the quilts but blogger kept placing them sideways so you will just have to see my write up:)
I will start with a couple of my friends from North Carolina.....

Eileen Williams
Shell Study #1
 
Katherine McNeese
In the Beginning
From the Bending the Rules Exhibit of the VA and NC Carolina Artists 
Now to some of the show that I was fascinated by-  We will start with Linda M Roy who won Best of Show.  I know her work immediately upon seeing it and am always intrigued and impressed by the amount of detailing.

Linda M Roy
Vintage Button Bouquet
Best of Show
I think you will see that for the last few years I have been infatuated with the actual quilting of the quilts.  Therefore I spend a lot of my shutter time on the quilting details.


Judith Heyward
Summer Soiree
  Look at the gorgeous applique and quilting....


Karen Marchetti
Wonderlust
The quilting here is phenomenal and I was intrigued by the little circle type stitches (below in the white area) that have a starburst effect...are they just circles and the thread makes that look???

Wonderlust Detail


Carolyn True Ito
Red & White Delight
Having done my first Cathedral Window (very small) piece this past year, I was in lust with this one!  There was much discussion between my mom, myself, and another quilter as to whether the color placement alone was causing this illusion that there are two different blocks at work here???  To me the blocks through the center don't look like the same blocks to either corner....What do you think?

While in Hampton, my mother and I took a couple of classes.  Blogger rotated it but I think you can see that there are 2 little crab molas here...This was our class with Phyllis Twigg Hatcher.  The stitching really changes the look of the crab.
Neither of us were too intrigued by this until we got into the class. We signed up without really researching it.  I have to say that although I won't be making molas, the class itself was fun due to the history lesson Phyllis gives while teaching.  She has a wonderful slide show about the people who make these.  So I gave Mom my crab and once home she found the perfect fabric to accent the mola concept.  This will be an adorable table runner once completely done!


Part of my visit to VA was to take my mom to DC for a few days.  We had so much fun walking around the city and the weather was absolutely gorgeous for early March... 70s. 
The flowers were blooming and this little purple one is just so vibrant.  Anyone know the name??
Here is my beautiful mom in a moment of Zen in the garden behind the Castle building of the Smithsonian...All the magnolias were in bloom!

We stayed in Alexandria where we could walk the Torpedo Factory and the shops and restaurants.  It was a very girls weekend...my favorite!

Before we headed back to Mom's we took a tour of Mt. Vernon.  It is so surreal to walk the same floors and touch the same banister that George Washington touched.

My VA portion of my trip ended with my parents and I going to see Wicked---SO COOL!!  I did not read the book but loved the story and the sets and the costumes and the music.  The performers gave you goosebumps and I once again longed to be on the stage!
Opening Night at Chrysler Hall, Norfolk
I ended my long trip with a visit to my older daughter back in NC.  It was wonderful that I started and ended with daughter one-on-one time.  Both girls were very open to doing movie double feature days so I was able to catch up on movies my husband wouldn't dare see:)  I miss them so much and am thankful to have had that time with them!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The purple flower is a type of iris. Don't remember the exact name.

Katherine McNeese said...

Great pictures; the details are good when you enlarge them.
Thanks for including me...Katherine

Michele said...

It looks like a Dutch Iris

Robin said...

Thank you to everyone who told me the name of the flower. Among my QA list- Mary, Judy, Carol, and Diana all responded with Dutch Iris, Blue Iris, Mini Japanese Iris, Blue Flags/Blue Iris (not in exact order).
This is what makes the internet so wonderful!
My mother will be pleased.

Judith Glover said...

Robin, I enjoyed this post.