Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fall in New Hampshire Part 2

While in NH, I made a trip to Keepsake Quilting. What a great shop.  It is a lot bigger than I anticipated and I also didn't realize that Knitworks is a part of them.  My mom would have loved that:)
 


We spent an afternoon in Meredith, NH and that was a cute little town....  Very picturesque on a lake!
 
At Loon Mountain they hold the largest Highland Games in the country.  We were there for the 37th annual games.  The setting was beautiful, the food was good, and the music was just wonderful!
When we arrived that morning, the mist was still hanging in the mountains and it was chilly and overcast.  By 11am the mist had cleared and it was sunny and 70's---Beautiful!
Here is the Caber Toss.  It is pretty amazing to see them run and throw this huge telephone pole! There was much grand standing:)
This was the moment that brought me to tears!  There were hundreds of pipers assembled and annually they pay tribute to friends and loved ones they have lost during the year.  This is done by playing Amazing Grace on the pipes:
One lone piper starts the song followed by a dozen more in the second round with the rest joining in on the 3rd round.  That song gives me goose bumps normally but hearing hundreds of bagpipes in unison put me over the edge. It is extremely moving!
So I wanted to go north for the color and although not peak, it was still so beautiful and invigorating to me!  I love taking rushing river pics too so I had a fabulous afternoon doing just that.

I can't possibly explain how much this environment does for my brain and my creativity.  I always feel like someone put me into high gear.
This particular river only had one lone red tree but it made a great focal point.  And it wouldn't be any fun to be here and not climb out on a rock in the middle of the river and take some action shots, right?  I could have sat there all day listening to the water!!!
Our day finished off with some real Maine Lobtahs that our friends had done for us when we got back.  This was my first lobster as an adult.  I didn't think I liked lobster......I DO:)

1 comment:

Jean Baardsen said...

Great pictures! What a wonderful trip you two had.