Friday, May 1, 2020

Sew Alongs

It may be hard to believe but 
I have NEVER done a sew 
along in all my 20 years of quilting!
Now that I have a little
extra time at home, Why Not?!

I have participated in guild 
lottery blocks and 
guild challenges but 
never worked with a group 
on the same project before.  
It is SEW FUN!!
There is a small group of us
that are making projects 
from the book, 
CIVIL WAR LEGACIES II 
A design is chosen, we
each get to choose our
own fabrics, and then
we sew together virtually 
since some of us don't 
live near the others anyway.

I went poking around my
room looking for something
and found this charm pack
from MODA, Renewal
by Brannock and Patek.

It was a bit more challenging
to cut charm squares vs. yardage
for my piecing but I managed
and started these sweet little stars.

Just because I was feeling 
crazy, lol, I decided to see if
I could get an extra HST from
each rectangle unit I was making.
I could and I did and Ta-Da!

Here are the lovely 3-1/2" stars!
and I absolutely love them!!

I can't finish just yet because
this design calls for alternate blocks
that we decided would be 
signature blocks for our first 
quilt together.
Another 'First' for me!
I do have a couple of signature 
quilts, one as a guild thank you
to me and one as a result of 
winning the guild lottery blocks once;
but, I have never participated in a 
signature quilt in this method before 
so a first for me.

Because we live off from one another,
it will take some time to get blocks
signed and mailed.  Here is 
roughly what my signature blocks
will look like once framed.
Stay tuned for the finish:)
In the meantime as I wait, I pulled
some fabrics for our next quilt.
On my FB page, the middle
fabric overwhelmingly won
when asked about which one 
for a border fabric.
They were voting blind not 
knowing how big the border 
would be or what 
size/type the blocks 
would be.  
I knew these would all work
for the scale I needed but 
was just not feeling decisive that day!
Thank you to everyone who 
took the time to give me their opinion:)

Once that decision was made for me, 
I was able to start pulling other
fabrics to go with that border print.
I am excited to start the next quilt
even though I haven't finished the
other quilt...what is that called?
Insanity!
I have a room full of that and 
I love that room and all that
lies within and how I feel
when I am in there.

I wish you could all
come join me there 
but since you can't, 
stay safe &
 Keep Stitching~

No comments: