Wednesday, July 3, 2019

ROUND ROBINS





First let me say that I have NEVER done or participated in a Round Robin for this reason, I am a Control Freak!  The idea of putting some fabric in a box and letting someone else make my quilt decisions for me and add other fabrics just makes my brain seize up. I have seen some lovely ones and some not so lovely ones too.  The idea intrigues me and seeing the reveals is inspiring but the need to be involved hasn't taken root.

Then I read somewhere about a controlled one and that made me want to do one:) Since I initiated this in my guild, I made up the parameters as shown in the first image print out.
I will say that participants didn't want anything
 too large so that limited my round sizes.
Here were the rules in case you want to do something similar in your own guild.
-This is a Round Robin personal challenge where you will make your own individual quilt using specific parameters given in 5 rounds
-Play along to make a gift for a friend, a charity donation, or just because it is fun to be a part of something and be challenged a tiny bit.
-There will be 5 rounds with one and two given together so that it will run for 4 months.
-Techniques will include applique' (by hand or fusible) and piecing with the finished size being roughly 48" square.
-Make it any color way that you love so that you will be excited to work on it.
Round 1: A 12" (finished) block with any applique you choose. 
I chose the tulip logo of our guild, Hidden Stitches.
Round 2: A 2" (finished) border to your center block. 
Border must feature at least one applique element from the center block. You can use any element, more than one, repeats in any way you choose.
Round 3: A 4" round of any pieced blocks.

Round 4: An 8" round with ANY triangular element (flying geese, half-square triangles).  Any combination of piecing and applique.
You can see that my big red tulip 
blocks will be cut to triangles.
Round 5: Another 4" round of any pieced blocks. The 4" was a minimum and they could go bigger if they chose.
You can see by my sketch that I made it way too complicated even though it is way cool (especially on a small computer screen:)!!
You see how far I got:)  I loved doing the applique but also became extremely busy in this time frame so the piecing was put on the back burner so to speak!

Now some of these ladies may hate me for posting these pics when I didn't catch them smiling and I can only hope I am forgiven when I say how much I LOVE THEM!!
They are members of my first 'Applique' guild, they are quilters, they share their stories and lives with me, and they are my friends and I love seeing them every month.
Lastly, they let me experiment on them when I have a new technique or Round Robin idea:)
My life here in Florida wouldn't be the same without these Amazing women!!   
We didn't all finish but the starts are pretty cool too! 
Cindy S. Love her flower and can't 
wait to see the rest.



Pat O. That birdhouse is darling!
It makes a sweet small piece the way it is.


Marva G. does amazing applique' work!
Again this could be done the way it is.

Jean R. used a block we had experimented with
 in a meeting and used it as her start point!
She even used the tulip as her 
quilting in the outer border.

Barbara D. did an amazing job! 
There was that sound in the room 
when people are impressed.


Lynn T. did the cutest kitty quilt and off setting 
border fabrics gives so much movement!

Then we come to our overachiever, Miss Liz M.
Above is the back of her quilt:)
Below is the front!
And I thought I had designed a lot 
of tiny bits for my borders!


THANK YOU all for being such great sports about trying out my Robin's Round Robin!!
I loved seeing every one of these and hearing about whether you loved or hated the process.
~Keep stitching

No comments: