Monday, August 17, 2020

Well-Loved Ladies QAL: Fabric Selection

FABRICS!
Isn't this why we 
really do this quilting thing??
So, let's talk fabrics!
This pic shows the fabrics I chose to work with.

The pattern supply list will give overall yardage.
Example: Red- # yards


I chose to use a 10" layer
 cake of red prints.
The red value is consistent throughout
with different prints. There were 42
squares in this pack from
 Wilmington Prints
and I used most of them.

For my greens, I pulled 6 that were
anywhere from a FQ to a yard.

When you are doing the QAL with us, 
there is no reason you can't choose
as you go and shop your stash.

Choose a color palette and then
proceed to make each block 
as its own entity repeating
a fabric amongst 2-3
blocks for cohesiveness.

Then pull fabrics from the blocks
for the border applique'
for continuity.

So, I obviously went the traditional 
red, white, green, and cheddar route
to pay homage to my collection of 
lovelies but there is NO rule 
that says you have to follow me.

I will end this post with a series of
other color options for you to ponder
using the first block we will discuss, 
Currants.

Above and below are the traditional colors.

I really like my
 black/orange sample.
That sashing fabric made it!
You could always work in pastels
or brights or batiks.


PURPLE?!


How about darker barn reds, grays, & black?

Have fun choosing your palette
and use your background / border
and your sashing fabrics
as your constant.

If you are just coming to the 
conversation, HERE is a post
that starts the story.
You can start sharing your fabric choices
on our FB group:

No comments: