Thursday, August 27, 2020

Well-Loved Ladies QAL: Supplies

We are only 3 days away 
from this fun and inspiring quilt along!
So Exciting!!
Last time we talked FABRICS!
If you are new to the conversation,
go read the introduction HERE
We will wait...
Some of my favorite supplies!
Ok, now that you are back, 
let's talk supplies.
I do a lot of hand applique' so
some of these are unique to 
that type of work.
I also like to design a lot
of swirly twirly designs:)

First up, bias vines.
This quilt has a lot of vine work on it.
The blue coil under the pencils is a 
flexible curve ruler and it 
is fantastic for measuring curvy
swirly shapes that my straight 
ruler won't...vines.

Next, bias tape makers...
I have tried various bias tape makers
and the original Clover 
is still my favorite!
I even tried their version that 
applies the fusible web tape as
it presses over the edges-nope-
not for me:) 
It works well enough for shorter
lengths but I personally found
that the web didn't stay on well
enough for longer lengths.

Since I don't use the web tape, 
I wouldn't want to make any
vines without Magic sizing.
I spray my bias vine so
that it is damp.
Your cut length should have
a 45 degree angle at one end.
This is the end that I start
through the maker using a
straight pin to help it along.
As you pull the fabric through
the iron will dry the sizing
and stiffen the vine just 
slightly and help the 
edges to stay closed.

Then because I do not have
fusible web tape on the back
of my vine, Roxanne Glue
Baste-It(R) is my best friend
for applying vines to traced lines.

Other items in the picture are: 
a pencil & metal sharpener- So Good,
the white chalk Bohin 
mechanical pencil is 
fantastic on dark fabrics,
& Karen Kay Buckley
serrated scissors for cutting
my applique' (especially
cutting into V points/curves.
These items make my life 
so much easier.

Let's not forget my new
favorite hand applique'
thread: Aurifil!!
When jobs started cancelling,
I treated myself to this Fab
collection of 50wt threads.
I know how to self-soothe!!

Look at all those 
luscious colors!

I know we all have our
own favorite tools so 
assemble what you need
based on this supply list below:

A bit of border sneak peek too:)
Right click the image to save
to your computer so you can
use it as a checklist before
Sunday.
See you in 3 short days!
~~~







No comments: