Saturday, December 28, 2019

Grand Rapids Adventure

August of 2019 I flew to 
Grand Rapids, Michigan to
take my appraisal test that
I had been training for
close to 3 years.

 Here are a couple of shots from inside
the convention center that sits 
along the Grand River.
My test would take place over 2 days.
A friend from Florida (also training to 
be an appraiser) was in town so we 
hung out taking in a lecture,
walking the floor looking at quilts,
and attending one of the Quilts of Valor
presentations where 3 quilts were gifted to Veterans.

 Montage of old quilts (above)
and new quilts (below).
As an appraiser I need to be familiar
with both along with designs
and techniques.

I have a fixation with wrought iron work.
This balcony railing overlooking this hall
caught my eye with its loveliness and deco feel.

 My Lauren drove over from Chicago to
spend some time with me after my test
and help me destress a bit!
It was greatly appreciated!
We headed out to the Meijer Gardens- WOW!
The sculpture above is 
The American Horse by Nina Akamu
and you can hear more about it HERE.
 After spending hours wandering and 
taking a tour, we headed back downtown 
for some chips and margaritas.
We had made pigs of ourselves
earlier at lunch when we 
went to the Polka festival. 
 I can eat a lot of pierogis:)
Now that I am an official
I look forward to a long and 
exciting career meeting quilts
and their makers' stories because
we all love a great story:)
~R


for more blogs to follow.

No comments: