Monday, December 10, 2018

Day 10: Favorite recipe?

I know food favorites change over the years as our palate becomes more mature and we discover new foods.  My mom liked to try new recipes when I was a kid and there were some hits and misses. One we still joke about was called Rinktum Diddy (not sure we called it that). It looked awful but tasted delicious and was eaten quite regularly during lent.

A few years back I had to wear braces and in an attempt to find "soft" food for me to eat, my husband changed up a recipe he found and I just LOVE to eat this!

We refer to it as Tot Casserole and I guess the original had hamburger but he knows my love of Italian sausage and so he changed it for me...YUM!  It is so easy to make that even I can do it:) I am an equal opportunity food eater but casseroles really appeal to me and I have no good reason why.

With the holidays here, who doesn't appreciate a quick, easy meal that also works as comfort food?

In a cast iron skillet, sauté 1/2 medium onion diced.
Add a pound of Italian sausage and brown, a can of cream of mushroom soup, about 4 ounces of sour cream, red or green peppers to taste along with a little garlic powder.
Once all cooked together, evenly layer tator tots over mixture and place into the oven at 425 for 15 minutes. Add cheddar cheese over the top of that and cook for another 10 minutes until crunchy.
We have become sensitive to salty foods and this can become that quickly so I suggest low sodium soup and cheese if you can find it.

An easy one pot dinner that is not nutritious at all but Oh, So Good!


No comments: