Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Day 11: What did you think you would be when you grew up?

Did you know from a certain age exactly what you would dedicate your life to?
I am not sure most people know and I certainly didn't. I don't remember ever saying, "I am going to be a ……"  My mother doesn't remember me talking about anything specific either.

It wasn't until high school that I actually decided what direction to head.  My father recommended the Coast Guard which is what he knew.  I must have seemed directionless and so something was better than nothing.

In high school I was in the NJROTC and thrived.  I knew I was good at this disciplined life having been raised that way so it felt like a good fit. Here is a picture of me at 17 raising my hand and taking the oath to join the US Coast Guard in a delayed entry program. I would go to boot camp right out of high school. I had planned to serve my country for 20 years but my best laid plans were completely derailed and that is a whole other story!!
My husband on the other hand went to college right out of high school and at some point decided he would be a psychologist.  
He studied hard and in his senior year his best laid plans were derailed.
Here is a picture of him in 2000 getting his Warrant boards!! 

You can read more about this pic HERE.

Some people take longer to find their paths and that is ok.  I was able to serve my country but in a more supportive role.  I was able to raise my children the way I hoped to even though I wasn't suppose to have them until I was 30:) 
My husband did finish his college degree and urged me to do the same but I never knew where to put that energy.  At some point architect crossed my mind and Interior Designer too.  I can look back and see those tendencies in my present work.
Designer of Quilts was NEVER in my mind's eye and now I can't imagine doing anything else!! 


No comments: