Sunday, December 30, 2018

Day 30: Houston Beauties

When you vend at Houston, they open the quilt exhibit up to you during Market and early on Festival days to give Vendors an opportunity to see the gorgeous quilts.  The level of workmanship and creativity is not to be missed.  This year I did not get an opportunity to go see all the lovelies.  I was there to work after all….SIGH!

One of my favorite things about this is the setting.  The show is beautifully hung on black drapes and though the room is massive the lighting makes it feel intimate somehow.  There isn't the garish overhead lighting but more spot lighting to highlight the quilt you are looking at.  As you walk through the doors from the Market floor with all its noise and craziness you suddenly feel as if you walked into a library or church:  The sound is different and the mood ambient. 

Then there are the quilts!  IQF does a fantastic job of having something for everyone and this year was no exception. 
Below are a few bits from the 2017 show.... 

The Sue Garman Exhibit was Fantastic!  It is sad that we lost her last year but her fans are grateful that her body of work will live on to show future quilters of her artistry!!




My donation to COC this year from one of Sue Garman's patterns.
I thought doing it in brights for Floridians was the 
way to go but it lost some of its charm in my eyes.

Then there was an exhibit on 1650-1800 work-WOW!



Lastly, YOKO SAITO!! Need I say more:)  Ok, one more thing...Her use of soft colors completely fascinates me!!!!
I could have stood and looked at these ALL day!



Hope you enjoyed this quick peek into the 
Wonderful World of Quilt Festival 
and that someday you get the opportunity 
to step into the curtained peace and beauty!






No comments: